A while back I found the cool picture above in an online exhibit of the Whatcom Museum showing photographs of Point Roberts and Lummi Island, on Puget Sound just south of the Canadian border. Reef netting is a peculiarly Straits Salish technology which involved the setting of complex nets, suspended between two canoes, at strategic locations where the natural flow of salmon was constrained. A sort of on-ramp led the fish up to the net by creating a gentle optical illusion of a rising bottom. When the salmon were milling around in the horizontal net, still free, the canoes would be suddenly swung together, closing the net and trapping the salmon.
October 2017 M T W T F S S « Sep 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Michael oliver hood on Mystery Pipe Elka Weinstein on Brainstorming beads Gitla (Elroy White) on dSpace: Elroy White (Xanius) o… Gitla (Elroy White) on dSpace: Elroy White (Xanius) o… Ted on Historic Sketchbook of Heywood… Toos on The BC Archaeology Survey Leonard Jones on Still selling First Nations… Leonard Jones on Still selling First Nations… Mathilde Goupil on Still selling First Nations… Seraphine Munroe on Visit to the UNBC Fieldschool… qmackie on The BC Archaeology Survey qmackie on Two Views of Double-Headed… qmackie on Archives of “The Native… Carole Gerson on Archives of “The Native… Alexander Allison on Two Views of Double-Headed…
Most viewed posts in last few days
- Still selling First Nations' Archaeological Heritage
- Memories of Ozette
- Replica Tlingit Armour
- D’Suq'Wub: Old Man House - a Poster
- Glenrose Cannery Under Threat?
- Tlingit War Helmet Rediscovered after 100 years
- Salish Villages of Puget Sound
- NW Geology Field Trips Lead to Chert?
- How to Make a Petroglyph
- Signs of Lekwungen
- alaska anthropology Archaeological Society of BC Archaeological Society of British Columbia Archaeology archives argillite art artifacts ASBC british columbia canoes clovis CMT Coast Salish conservation CRM Culturally Modified Tree Cultural Resource Management Esquimalt ethnohistory First Nations first peopling fish fishing fish traps fish weirs Fraser River Gulf Islands Haida Haida Gwaii Heiltsuk historical archaeology history household archaeology Intertidal Kilgii Gwaay Makah museums Northwest Coast Nuu-chah-nulth Oregon organic technology palaeoenvironment palaeontology petroglyphs pictographs pleistocene pre-clovis Public Archaeology Puget Sound RBCM repatriation rock art Royal BC Museum Salish Salish Sea salmon sculpture Seattle SFU Songhees southeast alaska Straits Salish tlingit ubc underwater archaeology uvic Vancouver Vancouver Island Victoria BC Washington State waterlogged sites wet sites zooarchaeology