This is the kind of cool story that makes me want to poke around in all the community museums I see. A fantastic Tlingit war helmet has been recently rediscovered in the backroom of a museum in Springfield, Massachussests. The helmet was accessioned in 1899 as an “Aleutian hat” and the designation was never questioned until now. The news article about it suggests only 95 of these helmets are known, with the largest collections found in Russia. They are part of an elaborate system of armour known from the contact and early historic period in Tlingit territory (Southeast Alaska – Alaska Panhandle).
March 2019 M T W T F S S « Jan 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Dale Croes on Coast Salish “Woolly Dog… naturalchild on About Sant’owax on Still selling First Nations… Martina on Environmental Archaeology of t… Margie on Society of Ethnobiology Confer… Canadian History Rou… on Coast Salish “Woolly Dog… Mad Dog on Coast Salish “Woolly Dog… iain on Coast Salish “Woolly Dog… Sam C on Arborglyph qmackie on Coast Salish “Woolly Dog… Dale R. Croes on Coast Salish “Woolly Dog… Dale R. Croes on Coast Salish “Woolly Dog… Mad Dog on Coast Salish “Woolly Dog… qmackie on Coast Salish “Woolly Dog… qmackie on Coast Salish “Woolly Dog…
Most viewed posts in last few days
- Coast Salish "Woolly Dogs," ca. 1946
- Shipwrecks of Vancouver Island
- Decaying resource towns of the BC coast.
- Historic Maps and Dioramas of Victoria and Environs
- A Coast Salish Mausoleum, 1864
- Cliff Painting by Marianne Nicolson
- Still selling First Nations' Archaeological Heritage
- Glaciers brought mountain to man (not really)
- NW Geology Field Trips Lead to Chert?
- Yelm Jim's Fish Weir at Puyallup
- alaska anthropology Archaeological Society of BC Archaeological Society of British Columbia Archaeology archives argillite art artifacts ASBC british columbia canoes clovis CMT Coast Salish conservation CRM Cultural Resource Management Esquimalt ethnohistory First Nations first peopling fish fishing fish traps fish weirs Fraser River Gulf Islands Haida Haida Gwaii Heiltsuk historical archaeology history household archaeology Intertidal Kilgii Gwaay Makah maps museums Northwest Coast Nuu-chah-nulth Oregon organic technology palaeoenvironment palaeontology petroglyphs pictographs pleistocene pre-clovis Public Archaeology Puget Sound RBCM repatriation rock art Royal BC Museum Salish Salish Sea salmon sculpture Seattle SFU Songhees southeast alaska Straits Salish tlingit ubc underwater archaeology uvic Vancouver Vancouver Island Victoria BC Washington State waterlogged sites wet sites zooarchaeology