This is the kind of cool story that makes me want to poke around in all the community museums I see. A fantastic Tlingit war helmet has been recently rediscovered in the backroom of a museum in Springfield, Massachussests. The helmet was accessioned in 1899 as an “Aleutian hat” and the designation was never questioned until now. The news article about it suggests only 95 of these helmets are known, with the largest collections found in Russia. They are part of an elaborate system of armour known from the contact and early historic period in Tlingit territory (Southeast Alaska – Alaska Panhandle).
February 2020 M T W T F S S « Sep 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
warren edward young on La Brea Woman: Image Cont… bortsov2 on Stone Foundations and Tent Pla… Lesley Feakes on ASBC Victoria: September Publi… Eula Veiga on The Skagit River Atlatl ΧΡΙΣΤΌΦΟΡΟΣ bɝːd (@c… on Historic Maps and Dioramas of… Dennis Wallace on Puget Sound Clovis Herb Sheakley on Russian Plastic Tlingit Warrio… neil campbell on Mechanical representation in a… PRE-CLOVIS HUMAN/ANI… on Manis Mastodon: a 13,800 year… Elroy White on Weir on the River Koeye Gordon Baron on Arborglyph Gordon Baron on Arborglyph qmackie on Manis Mastodon: a 13,800 year… Richard Wisecarver on Still selling First Nations… Julie Steinhauer on More views of the Museum of Va…
Most viewed posts in last few days
- Brainstorming beads
- Coast Salish "Woolly Dogs," ca. 1946
- Salish Villages of Puget Sound
- Archaeology Theses
- Historic Maps and Dioramas of Victoria and Environs
- La Brea Woman: Image Controversy
- The Bison at Ayer Pond on Orcas Island is archaeological.
- The Skagit River Atlatl
- NW Geology Field Trips Lead to Chert?
- Other Theses
- alaska anthropology Archaeological Society of BC Archaeological Society of British Columbia Archaeology archives argillite art artifacts ASBC british columbia canoes clovis CMT Coast Salish conservation CRM Cultural Resource Management Esquimalt ethnohistory First Nations first peopling fish fishing fish traps fish weirs Fraser River Gulf Islands Haida Haida Gwaii Heiltsuk historical archaeology history household archaeology Intertidal Kilgii Gwaay Makah maps museums Northwest Coast Nuu-chah-nulth Oregon organic technology palaeoenvironment palaeontology petroglyphs pictographs pleistocene pre-clovis Public Archaeology Puget Sound RBCM repatriation rock art Royal BC Museum Salish Salish Sea salmon sculpture Seattle SFU Songhees southeast alaska Straits Salish tlingit ubc underwater archaeology uvic Vancouver Vancouver Island Victoria BC Washington State waterlogged sites wet sites zooarchaeology