This is the kind of cool story that makes me want to poke around in all the community museums I see. A fantastic Tlingit war helmet has been recently rediscovered in the backroom of a museum in Springfield, Massachussests. The helmet was accessioned in 1899 as an “Aleutian hat” and the designation was never questioned until now. The news article about it suggests only 95 of these helmets are known, with the largest collections found in Russia. They are part of an elaborate system of armour known from the contact and early historic period in Tlingit territory (Southeast Alaska – Alaska Panhandle).
October 2021 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
When Orcas Island Ha… on The Skagit River Atlatl Canada : La nation S… on Glenrose Cannery Under Th… Lyle Van Horn on Namu Reburials A friendly future Wo… on Coast Salish “Woolly Dog… John Johnston on Intriguing rumours about the M… Melanie Bandy on D’Suq’Wub: Old Man House… Car-nerd here on The Marmes Rockshelter Si… David on Puget Sound Clovis 1887: Willoughby on… on R.I.P Hilary Stewart, 192… glenn Brown on Historic Sketchbook of Heywood… Jack Crosby on Replica Tlingit Armour Peter Donaldson on Salish Villages of Puget … Eve Henrichsen on Salish Villages of Puget … Daniel Leen on Salish Villages of Puget … Alexander Arthur on Haida stone carving from Chuma…
Most viewed posts in last few days
- Yelm Jim's Fish Weir at Puyallup
- Coast Salish "Woolly Dogs," ca. 1946
- More Mayne Island Museum
- Canoe Steaming
- Historic Maps and Dioramas of Victoria and Environs
- Cook Journal Illustrations from Oz
- Arrow from Tsitsutl Peak Glacier, Western B.C.
- Cliff Painting by Marianne Nicolson
- Compilation of Work from Tse'K'wa (Charlie Lake Cave)
- A Lummi Reef Net Model
- alaska anthropology Archaeological Society of BC Archaeological Society of British Columbia Archaeology archives argillite art artifacts ASBC british columbia canoes clovis CMT Coast Salish conservation CRM Cultural Resource Management Esquimalt ethnohistory First Nations first peopling fish fishing fish traps fish weirs Fraser River Gulf Islands Haida Haida Gwaii Heiltsuk historical archaeology history household archaeology Intertidal Kilgii Gwaay Makah maps museums Northwest Coast Nuu-chah-nulth Oregon organic technology palaeoenvironment palaeontology petroglyphs pictographs pleistocene pre-clovis Public Archaeology Puget Sound RBCM repatriation rock art Royal BC Museum Salish Salish Sea salmon sculpture Seattle SFU Songhees southeast alaska Straits Salish tlingit ubc underwater archaeology uvic Vancouver Vancouver Island Victoria BC Washington State waterlogged sites wet sites zooarchaeology