So the Upward Sun post yesterday was based partially on a combined ancient DNA and stable isotope analysis of ancient salmon bones. This triggered one of my own fossil memories of a cool, recent case study from England of all places. Indeed, not far from my alma mater Southampton, which in some ways forms the intellectual antipodal point to Blog World Headquarters (now temporarily ensconced in this hellhole). So the case study concerns tracking the 16th century trade or acquisition network of cod bones across the North Atlantic, based on a large comparative dataset of bones from many different region and a sample of cod bones from the Mary Rose, a sunken warship of King Henry VIII dating to 1545. Relevance to the Northwest Coast is unclear but possible. Bear with me, it gets a little long. And I’m totally not a fish guy.
Join 817 other subscribers
February 2023 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
qmackie on Lasqueti Island Archaeology Christal Knight on McLennan & McFeely 1908-19… Richard Bryant on Millennia Research’s min… Richard Bryant on Millennia Research’s min… Eric Allin on Lasqueti Island Archaeology The Stone Cottage… on The Bison at Ayer Pond on Orca… 11 Extinct Foods Fro… on The Bison at Ayer Pond on Orca… Jeffrey Coley on La Brea Woman: Image Cont… Lois on D’Suq’Wub: Old Man House… Mark Pracy on Maori Canoe found in New Zeala… Amber on La Brea Woman: Image Cont… Carlo Raineri on Florida Mammoth Engraving is… David Mattison on Tree Cache 3030win on Haida, Argillite, and the Pig… 11 Extinct Foods Fro… on The Bison at Ayer Pond on Orca…
Most viewed posts in last few days
- Manis Mastodon: a 13,800 year old Archaeological Site on the Northwest Coast
- Aboriginal Bridges of Northwestern B.C.
- La Brea Woman: Image Controversy
- Tree Burials at Tsaxis
- Haida Gwaii, 1787
- La Perouse at Port des Francais (Lituya Bay)
- Anchor Stones
- Glenrose Cannery Under Threat?
- ASBC Victoria: September Public Lecture - Isabelle Maurice-Hammond on Coast Salish Root Gardens
- Convictions in Yakima Looting Case, with comments on B.C.
- alaska anthropology Archaeological Society of BC Archaeological Society of British Columbia Archaeology archives argillite art artifacts ASBC british columbia canoes clovis CMT Coast Salish conservation CRM Cultural Resource Management Esquimalt ethnohistory First Nations first peopling fish fishing fish traps fish weirs Fraser River Gulf Islands Haida Haida Gwaii Heiltsuk historical archaeology history household archaeology Intertidal Kilgii Gwaay Makah maps museums Northwest Coast Nuu-chah-nulth Oregon organic technology palaeoenvironment palaeontology petroglyphs pictographs pleistocene pre-clovis Public Archaeology Puget Sound RBCM repatriation rock art Royal BC Museum Salish Salish Sea salmon sculpture Seattle SFU Songhees southeast alaska Straits Salish tlingit ubc underwater archaeology uvic Vancouver Vancouver Island Victoria BC Washington State waterlogged sites wet sites zooarchaeology