I only have a short post today since I am up to my neck in alligators, courtesy of my day job. So, take a moment and check out the spectacular argillite compote (a pedestaled serving dish), attributed to Haida master carver Da.axiigang, Charles Edenshaw. This particular dish is in the collection of the Liverpool Museum – an institution that holds a collection donated by well-known coastal collector, casual ethnographer, and (apparently) former Liverpudlian, Dr. Charles Newcombe – many of the items in their Northwest Coast section must come from this source. It is one of the more striking pieces of Argillite I have seen in that the form is so clearly derived from silverware: it is sublimely ridiculous, and I can’t help but feel that Edenshaw was in on the joke. Yes, he would make what would sell, but a piece like this makes me wonder if he wasn’t slyly pulling the touristic leg, somewhat.
July 2018 M T W T F S S « Nov 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Richard Michael Gram… on More on Manis Mastodon Camille C on ASBC Victoria November 21st Pu… Is Trump's thre… on Grace Islet and the Equifinali… Threats to Bears Ear… on Grace Islet and the Equifinali… Threats to Bears Ear… on Grace Islet and the Equifinali… Ronald Flippen on Still selling First Nations… qmackie on Shipwrecks of Vancouver I… Randolph Stilson on Shipwrecks of Vancouver I… qmackie on The BC Archaeology Forum is Al… Ian MacKenzie on The BC Archaeology Forum is Al… Bradley Beach on ASBC Victoria November 21st Pu… qmackie on ASBC Victoria November 21st Pu… Kelly Monteleone on ASBC Victoria November 21st Pu… Tedco on Karst Mismanagement in British… Todd Kenning on The Marmes Rockshelter Si…
Most viewed posts in last few days
- Historic Maps and Dioramas of Victoria and Environs
- William Alexander's Watercolours of Vancouver's Voyage
- Bears, Humans and Deer: disambiguation at last.
- The Giant of Happy Valley
- Anchor Stones
- R.I.P Hilary Stewart, 1924-2014
- Update - Willows Beach Site Controversy
- La Perouse at Port des Francais (Lituya Bay)
- East Wenatchee Clovis Photo Gallery
- In-SHUCK-ch Cedar Bark Stripping Gallery
- alaska anthropology Archaeological Society of BC Archaeological Society of British Columbia Archaeology archives argillite art artifacts ASBC british columbia canoes clovis CMT Coast Salish conservation CRM Culturally Modified Tree Cultural Resource Management Esquimalt ethnohistory First Nations first peopling fish fishing fish traps fish weirs Fraser River Gulf Islands Haida Haida Gwaii Heiltsuk historical archaeology history household archaeology Intertidal Kilgii Gwaay Makah museums Northwest Coast Nuu-chah-nulth Oregon organic technology palaeoenvironment palaeontology petroglyphs pictographs pleistocene pre-clovis Public Archaeology Puget Sound RBCM repatriation rock art Royal BC Museum Salish Salish Sea salmon sculpture Seattle SFU Songhees southeast alaska Straits Salish tlingit ubc underwater archaeology uvic Vancouver Vancouver Island Victoria BC Washington State waterlogged sites wet sites zooarchaeology